In this blog post, we take a closer look at the benefits of building a community on social media, but before we get into that. Let’s take a look at some reasons why you would want to start a community of like-minded people on social media in the first place.
1. A social media group is a place where people interact. Unlike a business page that feels more like marketing, a group creates the feeling of a community.
2. Consider using this group as a customer service page, where you can have discussions with clients and provide valuable input.
3. If you don’t create a group about your service or product, someone else will. Creating the community will help you bring the conversation to your own domain.
Benefits of owning a Facebook group.
1. Facebook is one of the largest social networks with more than 2 billion users per month.
2. A Facebook group may have better organic reach than business pages. If you are a member of a group you automatically see more of the group posts in your newsfeed.
+ Members of the group receive notifications automatically unless they change this in their personal group settings.
3. You can increase the value of your group by sharing files only with group members only.
4. Privacy can be set to public, closed and secret. When you set the privacy to public, people that are part of the group can share content with their own network. This will boost the organic reach of the group.
Benefits of owning a LinkedIn group.
1. LinkedIn is the largest network of professionals, if you want to find professionals on certain topics this is your place to be.
2. Groups can be added to your company page.
3. You can customise emails that are sent to people who have requested to join your group.
4. You can send personal emails directly to their inbox.
Facebook vs LinkedIn Groups
So, now that you know the key benefits of Facebook and LinkedIn groups the question is: which platform should you choose?
This infographic by @stayingaliveuk using Batman (as LinkedIn) and Superman (as Facebook) might give you a clearer idea of who wing the battle between Social Media groups.
How to create a group for your company.
If you are already convinced of creating your own community on social media, here are some tips.
1. Focus on creating a group about a certain topic that your ideal customer would be interested in. For example, if you are an iPhone reseller you can create a group about iPhones.
2. Create some rules and guidelines for members so have the right to remove posts or even members. Just to keep the community positive.
3. Monitor your group daily, if someone would post something inappropriate to the group you can contain it before it escalates. Also, encourage members to flag inappropriate content posted.
4. Don’t focus on marketing or sales in the group, focus on being helpful and the engagement.
5. Promote your group on a regular basis to attract new members. Share the link to your group on your company page or in an email. You can be considering investing in LinkedIn or Facebook ads to boost it.
- Consider using groups as a customer service channel.
- It’s not about marketing or sales, it’s about creating a community of like-minded people who can discuss certain topics.
- Play an active role in the group as well, if you’re not engaged, no one will be.